New Zealand abandon Pakistan tour because of security threat

Having security concerns, New Zealand abandon their Pakistan tour on Friday. This was going to be their first scheduled match in Pakistan in 18 years.

Cricket team said that moments before their scheduled match in Rawalpindi they received security alert from their government and decided to call the tour off.

New Zealand abandon
Image Source- Google | Image By- Cricket Addictor

“Following an escalation in the New Zealand government threat levels for Pakistan, and advice form NZC security advisers on the ground, it has been decide the Black Caps will not continue with the tour,” NZC said on its website. Now for their departure, arrangements are being made.

New Zealand abandon
Image Source- Google | Image By- Sky Sports

About this Pakistan cricket board said that Prime minister spoke personally to New Zealand counterpart and informed that they had one of the best intelligence systems in the world and no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team.

New Zealand was all set to play 3 ODIs in Rawalpindi and 5 T-20 matches in Lahore and security arrangements of both the cities was cleared by NZC’s security team last month.

David White, NZC chief executive said that the advice he received made it impossible for the tour to continue.

New Zealand abandon
Image Source- Google | Image by- Sky Sports

Pakistan cricket board tried its best to convince them but this last minute withdrawal will disappoint cricket fans all over the world.

Pakistan had been a no-go zone for the cricket team for 10 years after terrorists attacked the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore in 2009 during which seven people died and some cricketers got injured including Thilan Samaraweera, who is the batting coach of current New Zealand cricket team.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *