Country’s health authorities say that states should declare an epidemic of the deadly Black Fungus. As the cases increase, so does the panic. Most of these cases have been found in people recovering or recovered form Covid-19.
This infection has a mortality rate of 50% and out of people that are saved, some are saved only by either removing an eye or jaw bone. Some doctors are suspecting a link between the infection and the steroids being used to treat Covid-19.
Health Ministry Joint Secretary Lav Agarwal wrote to all 29 states on Thursday, asking them to declare it an epidemic. If declared an epidemic, ministry will be able to monitor the infection in each state to find a better treatment.
People with existing health conditions are more at risk of being infected by mucormycosis, especially those with diabetes. It is said that it strikes people about 12-15 days after they have recovered from Covid-19.
- Maharashtra: 1,500 cases and 90 deaths.
- Gujarat: 1,163 cases and 61 people.
- Madhya Pradesh: 575 cases and 31 deaths.
- Haryana: 268 cases and 8 deaths
- Delhi: 203 cases and 1 death
- Uttar Pradesh: 69 cases and 8 deaths.
- Bihar: 103 cases and 2 deaths.
- Chhattisgarh: 101 cases and 1 death.
- Karnataka: 97 cases and 0 deaths.
- Telangana: 90 cases and 10 deaths.