Every year on June 14, the ‘World blood donor day’ is celebrated. This day is to make people aware of the importance of donating blood in saving lives of thousands of people. Till this day, some people hesitate when it comes to donating blood and others who donate usually fail to avoid some mistakes that nobody should make while donating blood.
Here are some points that you should keep in mind if you are going to do this selfless act of kindness:
- One must have eaten something at least 3 hours before they donate blood; the donor shouldn’t be empty stomach at the time to donation.
- One must have had enough sleep a night before they go for donating their blood. Poor sleep affects your body in so many ways that you can’t even imagine.
- One must not smoke cigarette until 2 hours prior to the donation and should not drink alcohol until 24 hours before the donation.
- A person between the age of 18 and 65 can donate blood and their weight should be above 45 kilograms.
- The form that is given to you before the donation should be filled with sheer honesty since your lie can cause somebody serious trouble. The information you provide is confidential so please be honest with your answers.
- Doctors say that if the blood report shows your hemoglobin above 12.5/dL they you can donate blood.
- One must stay as relaxed as calm as possible while donating blood. You shouldn’t feel worried or nervous. Avoid looking at the blood if it makes you anxious.
- One must consume healthy juices or light, juicy fruits after donation. Although you may not feel the need, your body could surely use some.
- Just the way you do before donation, do take care of your body even after the donation of blood. Eat healthy, stay away from smoking and alcohol. Listen to your body and you will be fine. There will be not a single thing to worry about.